Random Musings After Two Weeks of Blogging
October 26, 2014
So now that my blog has officially been up and running for two weeks, I decided to take a moment to reflect on this journey. This is where the word random is going to come into play, because my observations run the gamut :).
1. Setting up the blog was more difficult than I expected, both in terms of time and technical skills.
2. There are still formatting issues that are making me crazy! I tend to be a little perfectionistic when it comes to visual details and organization.
3. In order to make my blog a success, I need to make myself more vulnerable than I am accustomed to as I promote the blog both in person and on social media. I love when people who have been following along bring it up to me, but I struggle to bring it up randomly in conversation with those who have not yet heard about it. I am excited and want to share, but I do have that fear of rejection lingering in the back of my mind.
4. On that note, it is interesting to see who is following along and who is passing right on by. It isn’t necessarily who I would have expected in either group.
5. Patience is a virtue. I am not able to amass hundreds of book reviews in a short amount of time like some of the popular bookish blogs I am following. I am really focusing on the journey and what I am learning, and trying to put the outcomes to the side for now.
6. I am hoping at some point to connect in more detail with some of the bloggers I am following. I would love some tips on how they built their audiences, how they generate discussion, how they manage to obtain all their pre-release and advanced copy books. Some of the blogs I am following are just amazing, and I would love to learn more from these people.
7. I love that I am flexing my writing muscle while doing this (it feels good to be doing that again), but it is not quite getting me working on those revisions any more than I was before (and I was hoping the blog would provide some inspiration on that front).
8. All in all, this has been an awesome experience so far, and I am so glad I started the journey!
I would LOVE to hear any advice you may have on blogging, writing, making yourself vulnerable, etc. I truly am looking to gain more discussion here, and I genuinely want to hear your opinions on things!