May 2015 Update: Summer Is Getting Close
May 31, 2015
May was filled with lots of fun moments. Work can often be crazy during the month of May, and even though this last week has been unbelievably busy, the month was not quite as crazy as usual. Here are some of the bright spots:
- May started with one of my favorite parties of the year. My friends Maggie and Steve throw a Cinco DerByrthday party the first weekend in May every year to celebrate the Kentucky Derby, Cinco De Mayo, and Steve’s birthday. It never fails to disappoint!
- My family had a lovely cookout for Mother’s Day that was simply perfect. It was just fun to hang out together.
- My little brother turned 40, and my sister-in-law threw a fun family party that was so fun. We chowed down on some good food, and I even did pretty well at the trivia game.
- We had our End-of-the-Year work party a little early this year at a local Mexican restaurant. It was fun to hang outside of work with everyone over a pitcher of margaritas and free food!
- Memorial Day Weekend was perfect – the ultimate blend of fun and productivity. I had lunch with my parents, did dinner and drinks with a friend, went to a picnic at a friend’s house, and went to a Blackhawks party.
- I hosted this month’s book club at my place for the book The Girl on the Train (review coming soon!). It was a fun evening with pizza, wine, and great book chat.
- I finished the month with an evening at the Arlington Park Race Track with some of my coworkers. Although there was some rain initially, we had a great time (and I even came close to breaking even).
- Number of Books Read: 6
- Reviews Posted: Unwind, The Maze Runner, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Challenger Deep, Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography, Playing for the Commandant, A Sudden Light, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Top Ten Tuesday Posts: Books I Will Never Read, Authors I Need to Meet, Sequels to Read, Beach Reads,
- Fun Posts: Book Club Blowout: Dollface, Spring Cocktails
- Most Viewed Post: Book Club Blowout: Big Little Lies
- I had my first guest post on A Flurry of Ponderings for Missie’s Bookies Become Foodies Week. Check out my post for Nowhere But Home.
- I attended the inaugural Chicago YA Book Fest. I had mixed feelings about it, but I’m glad I went.
- I took my mom, my niece, and my nephew to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale. What made this so special was watching the love of reading that my niece and nephew have, the excitement they have over picking books to read, and knowing that my mom instilled that in me while I was growing up. It was one of those small but special moments.
- I found a great new book blog to follow that I highly recommend. Check out The Modern Mrs. Darcy. She recently featured The Ultimate Summer Reading List, and I loved it!
What were you up to this month?