Hello Summer – The Trips
June 26, 2015
I love all of the possibilities that summer holds so this week I’ve decided to do a little feature on all the things I hope to pack in during the next couple of months. Today, I’ll focus on the trips I’ll be taking this summer. I usually take one bigger trip during the summer in addition to a couple of smaller ones, but for a variety of reasons, I am planning on two smaller trips to visit family this year. One has already happened, and one I have yet to officially schedule.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
My first official weekend of summer, I went for a short trip to my aunt and uncle’s home in Ada, Michigan, which is near Grand Rapids. Scott and Amy are spectacular hosts, and I had a fun and relaxing time kicking off my summer break. Here are a few of the highlights from the trip:
- Happy hour at an adorable wine bar called Cork Wine and Grille. If I lived near Cork, I’m pretty sure I’d be there several times a week. It was totally my kind of place to hang out, complete with happy hour wine and food specials! They even had a great outdoor patio for days when the weather is cooperating.
- Dinner at Rockwell Republic. I had a very tasty steak sandwich!
- Drinks at Founder’s Brewery. Grand Rapids in now known as the craft beer capital of the country (so I’ve heard). I may not be the biggest fan of beer, but the patio here is AMAZING! It is definitely a great place to hang out at on a Friday or Saturday night!
- An afternoon in Grand Haven, a small town on the coast of Lake Michigan. I had a blast visiting all the little shops, and having lunch and drinks on a restaurant patio right on the water. It was a perfect weather day, and I loved the quaint little town!
- Grilling and Hawks viewing. I couldn’t miss one of the Hawks playoff games so we grilled at their house and watched the game on Saturday night. They sure know how to make tasty steaks!
St. Louis, Missouri
I have another aunt and uncle who live in St. Louis part of the time (as well as my cousin Joe and his family), and there are a few St. Louis sites I’d like to check out that I haven’t had a chance to yet. Here’s what I’m hoping to see this summer:
- City Museum. I recently saw this in a blurb on Facebook, and I was sold. A playground for adults? I’m in! I know they have other things there as well, but this was the feature that drew me in. I’ve heard it goes as high as 7 stories!
- The Gateway Arch. Despite the fact that I’ve been to St. Louis several times, I have yet to go up in the Arch. For some reason, one of the kids at school had us look it up online, and I’m totally intrigued by the contraption you ride up in. I hope to add this to my list this summer.
I’m open for any other adventures my family wants to take me on, but I’m hoping to fit these two attractions in at some point. As I keep saying, I’ll let you know what happens in my monthly updates :).
What travel plans do you have for the summer?