Book Review: Here to Stay by Suanne Laqueur
January 10, 2016
Love is never so sweet as when it receives a second chance. In the sequel to her award-winning novel The Man I Love, Suanne Laqueur continues the story of Erik Fiskare’s romance with Daisy Bianco. Though separated for twelve years, the extraordinary bond forged in their youth has endured. But when your soulmate has caused you indescribable pain, how easy is it to forgive? How much trust is needed to place your heart back into the hands that once broke it? How much faith does it take to ask the question, “Do you still want me?” and believe in the reply: “I still want us.”
Erik and Daisy commit to creating a new life together. They are separated by geography, loyal to career commitments and burdened with lingering pain from a decade spent apart. Yet despite the challenges, Erik knows Daisy is the best thing to happen to him twice.
Slowly Erik earns back Daisy’s love as well as the trust of his incomparable friend, Will Kaeger. Both relationships grow deeper and more complex, as do Erik’s ties to the past. Unexpected contact with distant cousins offers new insight to the cruel childhood desertion that shaped so much of Erik’s adult life. With Daisy at his side, he travels back to his hometown to meet his people, explore his family’s history and learn about the men who wore his heirloom necklace before him.
The cathedral once burned down is rebuilt. But a love affair is never a finished thing. Life is never without its tragedies. Daisy and Erik soon face a threat more harrowing than gunfire, more sorrowful than the lost years. With Will at his back and family close by, Erik must fight for the things he once walked away from and prove his love is here to stay.
You all know how much I adore the writing of Suanne Laqueur. When she contacted me to review her most recent release, I was THRILLED!!!!! Here are my thoughts:
On the Plus Side:
- As always, Laqueur’s writing is absolutely stunning. I love the descriptive comparisons that make her story come alive!
- I loved hearing more about the characters that I’ve grown to love in the last two novels (The Man I Love and Give Me Your Answer True). Daisy, Eric, Will, and Lucky have evolved so much over the course of these novels, and it was fun to read about their lives as mature adults.
- I liked where Laqueur went with the story. I always appreciate when an author doesn’t sugar coat life. There will always be crappy stuff that happens, but the characters show us how to rise above and love life in spite of its difficulties.
- You will feel so many emotions (sometimes intense) throughout this novel. It is rare that a novel makes me cry while I’m reading it, but this one did on more than one occasion.
- I enjoyed the setting of a small town in Canada. It was quaint, and I thought that it complimented the story well.
On the Minus Side:
- Of the three novels in the series, this one got off to the slowest start for me. It definitely picked up, but hang in there through the first couple of chapters.
- Sex has always been a huge part of Laqueur’s novels. It’s always advanced the plot or character development in some way in the first two novels. This time around, I felt like the sex scenes added very little to the novel, and I didn’t feel the emotion behind them. It just felt a little detached for me.
Overall, I highly recommend this series if you are a fan of strong writing, intense feelings, and strong character development in your novels. I am a forever fan of Laqueur’s and I so can’t wait to see what she writes next! If you haven’t yet read anything by her, you must run out and do so now!!!!!
Have you read Here to Stay? What did you think?