January 2016 Wrap Up: Loving My Downtime
January 31, 2016
I’ve had a great month, but I will admit that I have become a bit of a recluse this winter. I simply like my time on my couch to read or watch TV or blog or play Candy Crush Soda Saga (I thought I was giving it up in 2016, but that hasn’t happened yet). I’m guessing that I will become a bit more social as the weather warms up (or if you want to come and join me on my couch). In the meantime, here’s what’s been going on:
- I went to see Star Wars with the fam! I’m not a die hard fan, but I really enjoyed the movie, and I totally want to go see it again!
- I was able to see The Lion King again at the Cadillac Palace Theater for the first time in over a decade with my friends Luke and Vicky! It was just as good as I remembered, and we had a delightful dinner beforehand at Italian Village.
- I fit in a couple of happy hours with different friends and coworkers, one of my favorite Friday activities (or any day of the week really).
- We celebrated my friend Margaret’s birthday with an awesome dinner at Chicago Prime Italian. YUM!!!!
- My niece was officially awarded her first degree black belt, which was exciting for our whole family. Look at her smile in this pic…..I simply can’t get enough of it.
- Even though it was the #24in48 Readathon weekend, I went to my nephew’s hockey game since I had made the journey north for my niece’s black belt ceremony. He was able to play goalie (which he doesn’t do very often, and it took him a bit to get his rhythm), and it was fun to watch him! My family did a very quick lunch at Portillo’s between the two big events.
- For the second time, I participated in the #24in28 Readathon. I beat my previous record with 13 hours this time around. It was so nice to just make the most of my time with reading (without feeling guilty about it).
- I went to a wine tasting to celebrate my dear friend Jill’s birthday. Very good wine followed by a quick meal at Tap House Grill. I managed to only bring 3 bottles of wine home with me :).
- I went to Kuma’s for the first time with my parents and YUM!!!!! You must go with a HUGE appetite and know that you will still come home with 2 more meals!
- Books Read: 9 (I could potentially finish a 10th tonight – it is due at the library today)
- Reviews Posted: Here to Stay, Primates of Park Avenue, George
- Most Popular Post: Big Little Lies Book Club Blowout
- Top Ten Tuesday: 2016 Resolutions, 2015 Releases I Need To Get To, Recent TBR Adds, Happy Hour Hangouts
- Other Posts: 2016 Reading Challenges, #24in48 Readathon
- 2016 Challenges Update:
- Goodreads Challenge: 9 or 10/52
- New Authors: 5 (Becky Albertalli, Wednesday Martin, Francesca Zappia, Alex Gino, David Mitchell)
- Clean Your Reader Challenge: 2 (Made You Up and Find Her)
- Mount TBR Challenge: 4 (Here to Stay, Made You Up, Find Her, and Rogue Lawyer)
- Modern Mrs. Darcy Monthly Challenge: Checked off a book I read in a day: George by Alex Gino
- Nonfiction Reading Challenge: 1 (Primates of Park Avenue by Wednesday Martin)
- Historical Fiction Challenge: 0
- Reading Challenge Addict: I haven’t completed any of them YET!
- I’ve made the decision – I’m getting rid of my cable. It’s just not worth it for what I pay and how I use it. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated (thanks to my friend Daniel who had lots of input for me this week). I think next Monday will by my cut off date (I still have to call to make it final, but I know I will).
- I haven’t really been working out like I should (ummmm….1 session of yoga won’t quite cut it), but I have been making some adjustments to my eating (although not as consistently as I would like). I’m not quite where I want to be overall, but I have made some overall improvements. Tomorrow starts a brand new week and a brand new month, and I plan to rock it out! I’m telling you all so that I am holding myself somewhat accountable.
What have you been up to this month?